Thursday, May 26, 2005

Bicycle!!! Bicycle!!!

They are everywhere. Two wheeled transportation is more popular here than back in Chicago. That includes motorcycles which I will talk about more later. I would have thought with the colder climate that they would be less popular. As long as there is not a significant amount of snow on the ground, the bicycles are out there. I have even seen studded bicycle tires for the first time in my life. If it's raining, there are less out there, but everyone else dresses for it and pedals to their destination. My wife pointed out that there are probably more people biking because people here choose it over running. I have read that hockey players prefer getting exercise on a bike, but I'm not sure if there is a correlation. There are even people dressed nicely for work (suit & tie) who ride their bikes. There seems to be a bike repair shop every few blocks also. As a friend pointed out this weekend, there may be less people wearing helmets, but I could not say either way. Sometimes when you are driving, it can be a bit frustrating sharing the road with so many of them. But since I'm becoming more and more ecologically minded, it's nice to see one less car out there and to see others getting some exercise. I'd join them if I commuted to work alone, but the distance, time, and a two-year old passenger would be difficult to manage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I bought a bike some months ago (and will look at a second one today. I must say it's the best purchase i've made. I lost about 3-4 inches off my waist, (and as a result of less driving) as well as reduced my stress levels. Moreover, things are different from the saddle....