Sunday, February 04, 2007

Celebrity

The other night we went to a large birthday party for one of our relatives. It was a surprise party and was an extremely well done affair with great food, good company, and a great band. But there is another reason we'll remember that night. One of the guests brought a local celebrity. So as much as I/we enjoyed the night, there was always one eye occasionnally glancing over in that corner of the room.

Now, I have always felt that celebrities get enough wanted or unwanted attention. So I don't approach them and try not to stand there gapping in awe in order to respect that many of these people would like to return to being another invisible face in the crowd. But I could not help but keep covertly checking over in that direction to see what she was like. How did she interact with others? How did she hold herself? How well does she dance? I have to say that although we did not speak face to face, she's quite a respectable person and very outgoing. She's also incredibly thin. They say TV adds five pounds, but she seemed to lose ten to twenty stepping out from in front of the camera.

And it was also fun to watch the others at the party. From what I saw, everyone respected her space and allowed her to enjoy the party with the company that she came with. But there were many who like myself would glance over to see what was going on. Once, a couple of teenage girls sat there with their mouths gaping open gazing at her as she crossed the room.

It's interesting because last summer I had also seen her co-star from our favorite Quebec television series. I had gotten into the elevator to leave work. A couple floors down, she got in. Part of me wanted to say that I enjoyed her work in the series, part of me wanted to allow her her space, and another part wasn't entirely sure it was her. So I kept my eyes forward, but I swear that out of the corner of my eye it looked like she was staring at me. As I turned to verify if that was the case, the doors opened at another floor and more passengers got in before I could look in her direction. When we got to the ground floor, it seemed everyone was continuing to the basement, so I headed out and on my way. From what I heard behind me, she didn't realize it was the ground floor and the others told her how to get out. It was then hearing her distinctive voice that I was positive it was here. But with my body already on the way out, I would have felt awkward doing an about-face.

Although it would have been nice to talk to her and say that I wish the series had continued, I still prefer to allow celebrities to lead lives with as little unwanted attention as possible. They likely get enough recognition on the street without my input. They're people doing their jobs like everyone else. It's the way I'd want to be treated also if I were in that position.

4 comments:

Martine said...

A few years back, I directed a tv show which consisted of interviews with Quebec's stars about their health habits, exercising, etc. Your famous guest was on our show and I was very impressed by her friendliness which didn't come through as fake at all. To this day, she's still my best memory of working on that show.

Hashi said...

I think it depends on the person and the point in their career. When we saw Art Linkletter in the elevator in Vegas and mentioned how we enjoyed his show, he genuinely seemed happy and greatful to hear it. But contemporary stars in the peak of their career may not enjoy the attention as much. Remember when we saw Tom Hanks, Geena Davis and Penny Marshall? Tom appeared happy to be there but wouldn't sign autographs and shook our hands instead. We saw John Walsh (America's Most Wanted) and he was very happy to chat with us.

So, I think it really depends on their personality, if they like the attention, what they're doing at the time, and the point in their career.

Unknown said...

Martine, I'm glad to hear that. I hope she goes far.

Nance, Excellent points. Then again you're the celebrity magnet in the family. You were the one who went up to Tom Hanks and shook his hand almost twenty years ago. Have you washed it yet?

I agree that if there is someone who has been out of the limelight or is up and coming, I'd feel more at ease approaching them knowing that they likely don't get approached often. I guess I'm talking about B-list or C-list celebs.

Eve said...

I agree with Hashi - people like positive feedback on their work.

Once I saw Bjork and was starstricken. I couldn't have spoken with her had I wanted to. She wasn't looking for attention though, just shopping for books. Some celebs get off on the attention though, like one who I shan't name (a native Chicagoan). We met one night and were walking down Bourbon Street in New Orleans. He was literally turning his face to best be seen in the streetlamps.